As fun as it is to always bring home treats and cookies for your dog whenever you go out, it sure can get costly, and do you really know what’s inside of your dog treats? The better solution is the create your own homemade dog biscuits. It’s fun, easy, cheaper than retail biscuits and you will actually know what is going into each treat.
This recipe comes from the PetSmart Martha Stewart collection. You will need the following ingredients.
Dog Biscuits Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup low-sodium canned chicken stock, plus more for brushing
– Optional Martha Stewart dog bone cookie cutters.
2. Next you will pour oil into a large bowl. Add your preferred brand of stock and flour mixture in three alternating batches, beginning and ending with stock. Mix well.
3. Using a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 3/8-inch thick. Next you will need to mold the cookies into shape. You can use your hands or start shaping biscuits using a dog-bone-shaped cookie cutter appropriate for your dog’s size.
4. If you would like to have some fun and creative biscuits, you can use a tooth pick to write your dogs name on the biscuits (before cooking).
5. Now that your biscuits are ready to go in the oven, make sure to move them over to parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes. Brush with the stock you previously used; then rotate baking sheets and bake 10 minutes more. Now that your biscuits are done you can turn the oven off. You do not need to remove the cookies immediately from the oven. Instead, let dog biscuits stand in oven to dry completely, about 1-1/2 hours. One the biscuits are ready, make sure to keep your cookies in a sealed container (like the one to the right).