All forms of chocolate are extremely bad for dogs, so be sure to avoid feeding it to them at any cost. Some chocolates are worse than others, and sometimes you just can’t help if a dog jumps on the counter and eats something they shouldn’t have. Here’s what you need to know about dogs and eating chocolate.
Why is chocolate bad for dogs?
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is bad for dogs. Theobromine is similar to caffeine, and is a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. Eating too much chocolate and absorbing it’s ingredients is not only poisonous for dogs, but can be lethal in extreme situations.
How much chocolate can kill a dog?
As mentioned earlier, different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine. It would take 20 ounces of milk chocolate to kill a 20-pound dog, but only 2 ounces of baker’s chocolate or 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate. Depending on the size of your dog, the results of eating chocolate will vary.
If your dog does manage to eat any of the chocolates and their size amounts above, be sure to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Absorption and side affects can take anywhere from 12-48 hours to show into the system, but there is still some immediate treatments that can be taken.
As pet owners, we already know how smart and sneaky dogs can be when it comes to sniffing out foods hidden around the house, and you know they will eat anything they find. It’s extremely important to keep all forms of chocolate in high places where a dog can not reach.
Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? Video