Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Grapes are one of the most talked about foods when it comes to what foods are good or bad for a dog. Most people will say grapes are bad for dogs, but they don’t really know why. Let’s break down what we know about grapes and how it can affect your dog.

  • A study from the ASPCA in 1989 reported a disturbing trend that “nearly all dogs reported to have eaten grapes or raisins developed acute renal (kidney) failure. These cases were from different locations across the USA, and the amount of grapes consumed varied, ranging from over a pound of grapes to as little as a single serving of raisins.
  • Grapes in all forms are considered dangerous; plump, dried, frozen, holistic and raisins.

The majority of web sites and animal poison control notifications will tell you that you need to immediately bring your dog to the vet if they down a decent amount of grapes, but there are also many individual reports of dogs eating grapes and not suffering from diarrhea, vomiting or any other long term affects. Results can heavily vary depending on the amount of grapes ingested, and the size of your dog.

The bottom line, avoid feeding your dog grapes or raisins at all cost.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Video


Hi, I'm Foxy! As the official spokesperson for PetFoodia.com, I wanted to welcome you to our wonderful pet web site. We created this web site to help share information to pet owners, while also providing useful resources and reviews on every day products that we are giving to our pets.

Share This Post

Recent Articles

2 Responses to “Can Dogs Eat Grapes?”

  1. Jay Elmer says:

    Hi, my name is Jay Elmer, I have a cocker spaniel he is almost 12 yrs old. and we recently lost another cocker spaniel that was 8 yrs. old, both my very best friends, I am disabled and am home constant with them except Doctor apt. any way my question is I have been bad and sometimes share my food with my boys (dogs). their favorite is peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich’s. I have been sharing with them several times a week for the last 6-7 yrs, we constantly see the vet for his check ups and shots, and grooming. they love it being spoiled all day. anyway last Christmas morning we all gathered in the living room to open presents and so I had put the boys in the bedroom because this year was our grand kids first Christmas they would remember and I didn’t want the boys getting into every thing, Now that morning my wife had cooked up some bacon for breakfast and I took a few pieces for the boys. we only left them approx 15-20 min. when I returned to let them out Tobi my younger cocker was dead, I tried every thing to resuscitate him shy of calling 911, but he did not have grape jelly that day but the nite before we had shared some and also salami and cheese with crackers. do you think the grape jelly finally took its toll on him ?

    • PetFoodia says:

      Tough to say, as we are not vets, but the amount of food your dogs eats does depend on their size. If you were continually at the vet for checkups, it probably wasn’t the small portions of food they were fed over the years, but something else.

© 2014 PetFoodia.com. All rights reserved. Site Admin · Entries RSS · Comments RSS
Powered by WordPress · Designed by Theme Junkie