I know that you are reading this article because you want to know the remedies for dog constipation, but before we go to that, let’s define constipation. Constipation is a digestive system disease which is characterize by difficulty in defecation. It may be food retention in the intestine for 2 to 3 days, hormonal hay wire, and parasitism.
Food retention in the intestine is normally caused after large meals or when our dog sneaks into her dog food. When this happens your dog will have a stomach bloat. Stomach bloat obstruct the intestinal canal of your dog because of high fermentation that is happening, the food stuff tends to expand then harden because of the nitrogenous gas that mixed along with it making your dog constipated for 2 to 3 days.
- Give your dog fresh or lukewarm water to drink on throughout the day to help food digestion.
- Give your dog a juice of aloe plant which is a natural laxative that is good for your dog
- If the 2 mentioned above doesn’t work, try the generic drug remedies such as methelcellulose and docatase as a powerful laxatives.
Hormonal hay wire causes dog constipation and you may ask why? Pregnant dogs are prone to constipation because during pregnancy the level of progesterone increases, the effect of this hormone is to make sure that there is a steady blood supply flow in the uterus and the set back is that the movement of the intestine becomes slow because of the diversion of blood supply. Relax intestine means, the flow of the food also becomes slow making pregnant dog constipated. Generally constipation is easy to treat but when your dog is pregnant that could be difficult.
- Give your dog an ample amount of water before meals and in between meals.
- Use wet dog food.
- Give your dog a cooked food for easy digestion and to avoid more constipation.
- Give your dog a juice of aloe plant which is a natural laxative that is good for your dog.
- Parasitism can cause constipation by obstruction of food and the parasite itself. Too many intestinal parasite (round worm, flat worms and pinworm) post a problem to your dog aside from its competition for nutrition. Intestinal parasite makes the situation worst by giving your dog constipation. Giving for dog a powerful anti parasitic drug is a big no, because if the parasite dies inside the intestine of your dog they will eventually cause more constipation.
- Give your dog a lukewarm water every meal.
- Use a potent anti parasitic drug that will only knock out the parasite.
- Use a powerful laxative such as methelcellulose and docatase to void out the parasite along with the stool.
Constipation pose a serious trouble to dogs if we do not know the real cause, the best way to avoid it is by making sure that they are constantly de-wormed and by giving water after meals. Making this collective effort shows how much we love and value our dog.