One of the most asked questions about pets and their eating habits is, “can dogs eat chocolate?“… and in so many words, the answer is NO!
The reason why chocolate is so harmful to dogs, cats and most pets, is because it contains a substance that is very similar to caffeine, which is called theobromine, which acts as a stimulant in the body. This stimulant can affect the heart very strongly. Depending on the size of the dog or pet, and the amount of chocolate they consume, the results will be different.
A twenty pound dog can become extremely sick or even die, just from eating one pound of high quality chocolate. Baking chocolate is the most severe around, as it’s very high in quality product and chocolate substance.
It’s very important that you keep all chocolate in the cabinets and high on shelves so they are out of reach from your pet. While most chocolate that people eat, are not “baking chocolate”, they still contain theobromine, in addition to a lot of sugar substance, which also isn’t good for any pets.
In the event that your dog or pet does consume chocolate, make sure you find out how much they have eaten, then contact your vet or poison control as soon as possible.
For more information on pets and eating chocolate, be sure to watch the video below and read up on our chocolate information post.