What if my dog eats moldy bread?

Oh great, another night that we left the dog alone in the house and come back to bread bags all over the floor with little crumbs all over. However, we also notice that some of the bread crumbs left over are moldy… what can you do in this situation?

After some research online, it looks like it will come down to the size of your dog, how much they eat and if it is making them sick or not. Most sites have said that the mold shouldn’t be an issue, but if it is, you would see such symptoms of diarrhea and throwing up.

Further research found someone ask the same question to a vet answer websites, in which they said “My dog ate moldy bread from the trash yesterday and he just threw up…

You can see the full post and vet response below.

Moldy bread can cause anything from stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea; to possibly neurologic problems (weakness, being wobbly, seizures). If he just vomited this afternoon, and is not showing other symptoms (except not wanting to take a walk), I would recommend not giving any food or water for about 6 hours. If there is no further vomiting, you can offer small amounts of water, pedialyte, beef broth, chicken broth. If the liquids stay down for about 2 hours, you can then offer small amounts of bland food, such as boiled hamburger and rice, or chicken and rice later tonight. If the symptoms go away – great! But, if the symptoms persist or worsen by tonight, Jack should really be seen by a veterinarian for more specific treatment.