Spring break is here and summer is fast approaching. Stroll with your pooch would be fun, right? The warm breeze and green scenery will surely be invigorating.
Summer? Yeah! Summer is where ticks and fleas are hatching everywhere, climb to the tip of the grass waiting for their prey to pass then, hop onto your dog for their free meal. Suck the blood out ‘till kingdom come! Yikes!
Now, what are the measures that you can do for your beloved pooch to be more resilient against ticks and fleas?
Yup! That’s right! Although, there are other gazillion ways you can take against ticks and fleas, but today we are going for dog collar and the 5 FAQs about anti tick and flea dog collar.
1. Tick and flea dog collar: How do they work?
Anti tick and flea dog collar are designed to continuously protect dogs and cats against possible tick and flea infestations.
- Insecticides (Carbamate) in solid form are incorporated with plastic resins so that Carbamate molecules on the collar surface will spread upon contact with dog or cat fur.
- Upon contact with the fur, the displaced resins are then replaced by the Carbamate molecules inside the collar.
- The effect is a continually replenished supply of the potent insecticide at the collar’s inner surface. Cool right?
2. Why should I use tick and flea dog collar?
- Anti tick and flea dog collars are potent preventive measure.
- Good for pets who spend most of the time outdoors.
- The continuous replacement of potent insecticide within the collar is reliable.
3. Is it safe for my family?
- Essentially, the chemicals used on anti tick and flea dog collars are located on its surface and therefore can adhere to anything that in-contact with it.
- It is advisable to wash your hands properly every time you snuggle your dog.
- Ask your local veterinarian just to make sure.
4. How should it be worn?
- It is always best to follow the manufacturer’s manual. The collar should fit snugly to your dog’s neck, no too tight, not too silty.
- Collar should be checked from time to time and make sure that it is snugly fit to the neck.
5. How many months before the effect of the anti tick and flea dog collar worn out?
- Some collars are good for one month and others are effective six to eight months.
- In general, the potency of the chemicals within the dog collar depends on the activity of your dog (ex. Your dog got wet due to rain or you took your pooch for a swim with collars on).
- Although some brands of dog collars say they are water resist, it is still best to take them off if you are planning to let your pooch swim.
There are other methods that you can apply to your pooch to keep them away from ticks and flea. There are spot-on medication, there are oral medication and even injectables. One thing is for sure, you’ll have an upper hand if you take preventive measures against tick and flea.